we bought a little house and we're ready to make it our new home. Follow us as we plan, prepare and attack this renovation.

Monday, September 12, 2011

Antiquing Has Begun! My first purchase for the house




I've been browsing online and hitting the antique stores in St. Jacobs. But even before buying this house, I've wanted a butter churn!  I got one today!

I've been watching them on eBay and reading about reproductions and fakes... and my patience paid off.  It's rustic, but everything works and has all original parts! Dazy Butter Churn No. 40  patented Feb. 14, 1922    (love the date since it's Hannah's bday)

I can't wait to find a place to display it in my new/old kitchen.


2nd purchase!


My next best find!

I saw it on kijiji and from the photos I couldn't see any markings and the price was $25 so I was picking it up fully expecting that it was a reproduction. I meet the lady (who drove it in since she was 45 minutes away, but heading my direction for a meeting) and she pulls it out and I'm already thinking this looks antique!

I said to her "did you notice how quickly I replied to your posting? I've been really wanting one for our new old house we bought just up the street from here" (it was only posted an hour before I emailed her). She then tells me, "you know, I meant to put a one in front of it, but I'll honour the price" she meant to ask $125.

I quickly said I don't have $100 on me, but I have more in my purse and would like to give you more. She said "NO. I'm going to honour the amount. I'm just glad to see that someone is getting it that is so excited." I told her I actually had chills(and I did) it will fit perfectly in the house. I tried to give her money one more time and she refused. I told her I'd pay forward her kindness and thanked her profusely.



so on my drive home I still had some guilt and doubt, but I didn't do anything wrong, I tried to pay extra and it was her choice. right?



And if I were to flip this now for a profit I totally get that karma would bite me in the ass deservedly so. But I won't! I'm just taking this as a lovely gesture and a wonderful addition to my new home


Next on my shopping list, and I already have some leads are:


coffee grinder (can't decide between styles)




door knocker (we have the inside part, but outside/guest side is missing)











and telephone!

1 comment:

  1. Awesome find!!! I'm sure she could read that you were truly excited! And when you find that super-cool phone, you HAVE to rig it like the Disney phones where you pick it up to hear old conversations!

    ReplyDelete